Mama. Dada. Dog. Now, Pass Me That iPad

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

We spent Thanksgiving at my in-laws’ house. It was a nice, but short visit. During some food-prep downtime, I decided to bring out some more books for my son to get into. He was teetering, dangerously, on the “I’m bored and that shiny, breakable thing over there is talking to me” fence.

When I went to my bag, I pulled out one of his train books, yes. But pulled something else too: my iPad. I brought it over to QB and his face lit up. He clapped his hands and said, “I-Boom!” A mix, I gather, of iPod, iPad and room, as in bedroom, where I often keep the iPad “hidden” in the wide drawer of my night table.

Then he went on to wow the onlookers—Gammy and Grandpa Burton, along with his Auntie R and Uncle J. I decided to hang back; I had already seen the show.

My son’s little nimble fingers danced around the print-smudged iPad screen. Swipe here. Touch that. Shrink this. Move that there. And play those apps like he made ’em. His audience was thrilled, mouths agape. Tickled by the sight of this little guy manhandling this gadget.

Through some wonderful job perks (my husband’s) and remarkable generosity (my brother’s), we are fortunate to have not one, but two iPads in our home. [Side note: They really are as fun and incredibly cool as the commercials make them out to be. I am exceedingly grateful to have one. Thanks, again, Sean!]

Now, QB’s tech gadget resume dates back to mid-2009, when, like so many babies at that age,  he took a liking to our cell phones. His father’s was simple to master. It’s not a smart phone, so learning how to change the ringtones was a cakewalk for him. He moved on to my phone, a BlackBerry, and was soon calling folks up, randomly and at unseemly times in the early morning.

A few months later, he spotted my iPod Touch. (Yes, this is a very Apple-y household.) This was a challenge … for about a week. He quickly figured out how to swipe, touch, unlock, and, unfortunately, delete things on my ultra-modern music player.

But watching him make his way around the iPad—a merry-go-round crammed into a tablet computer—is pretty special. The counting games, spelling lessons, interactive storybooks, high-pitched sing-alongs … even how he whips through photo slideshows, pointing out the people, places and things he knows. It makes me laugh.

It makes me proud.

It makes me think this latest crop of kids is going to run circles around us.

As much fun as all of this is, I’m not 100 percent sold on “full immersion” when it comes to kids and technology. I definitely watch how long and how often my son plays with these tech toys. I mean, he doesn’t watch TV yet, so why would I be OK with him camping out on an iPad all day? It’s not his babysitter. Not even close.

I wholeheartedly believe in old-fashioned playtime (books, make-believe, LEGO, wooden trains, etc.). And I think there is something to be said for letting kids be bored sometimes. Clicking on the television or shoving a Gameboy in their hands before they can add yet another syllable to the word “bored” isn’t the answer.

While I refuse to tell someone else how to parent, I’m also not about to judge you if 20 minutes of Yo Gabba Gabba! gets you and your family through the day. Do you, mama. I just know what my plan is, and hope to stick to it—while remaining flexible when it’s clear that I need to be.

In the meantime, we’re gladly getting our I-Boom on ’round here. And wowing grandparents while we’re at it.

_ __ __

This is post number 101 on Ms. Mary Mack. I’m pretty pleased with this fact.

Plenty of hard work went into the last 100 posts, and I want to take this moment to thank you for reading, sharing and commenting on all of them. It’s a brand of kindness that encourages me, leaving me smiling and grateful.

pendulumswing says:

The story is already great, but the pics…the pics just got me.

Granma says:

This is one terrific story , Nicole. Captured the spirit of the day perfectly. Yes, we remain wowed and adoring grandparents. Can’t believe a 21 month old was teaching his 70’s grandparents how to navigate the electronic world, with an ease and agility I don’t have–love it. And the trains are coming!
    Wowed Grandparents

runtobefit says:

It is crazy how kids catch on to these things. My girlfriends nephew isn’t even 2 yet and know how to use the i-pad!! He pulls of videos on you tube of thomas the train and elephants. It is crazy because it can navigate it with ease. Actually…it’s kind of scary!!

And think of how fast technology is moving: Just 9 years ago, my son (now 11) proudly showed his grandpa how to use a computer mouse. He was 2, grandpa was 59.

Now my children show me all the latest tricks for MY iPhone. Unbelievable.

Great post. I would agree that full immersion is not optimal…rather measured, occasional exposure to a variety of tools, media and techniques.

And some singing. Lots of singing. ;)

No. For real. The rate at which we are moving along the tech highway is nothing short of astounding. Can you imagine where we’ll be in just two more years? Babies will be looking around the delivery room for an outlet to plug in their gadgets. Thanks for the comment, Mikalee. And, yes, we sing a lot around here. Always a good thing. :-)

i second pendulum swing, adorable pics.

Andrew says:

What a great story. The pictures really got to me! He’s so young!

Adorable :) What a little pro. Let us all know when he takes over Steve Jobs, er, job.

Oh, when the Jobs job (ha!) takeover happens, you all will be hearing from me–loudly and proudly. Thanks for the comment!

The pictures are too cute!

midnitechef says:

LOL :) It’s funny how kids pick up mannerisms from parents!

What got me was that neither of my two boys was checking on the other. They were both so wrapped up in their iPads, they didn’t realize there was a Mini-Me thing happening. Ha!

Teri says:

Like father, Like son. :) You both look cute as a bug in a rug…err, should I say an i-boom.

Cheers on being pressed. Stay flexible. :)

Loved the blog, but ah, those photos are priceless. I have some of my daughter and grandson (at one year), both on their own laptops (my grandson’s laptop is a toy, but no matter), with identical expressions on their faces.

Isn’t photography fab that way? So much conveyed in one snap. Love it. Thanks for the comment. Hope you come back to MMM soon!

Unmana Datta says:

As my post got Pressed too, I had to check out the others. Love the image of your son with the iPad!

AWESOME! I have 2 boys…5 & 3…and they love to go to the mall just to go to the Apple Store. They don’t want to play on the germ infested playgrounds…they want to play with the germ infested iPads.

I’m thinking about getting one for work but i know the boys will be thumbing through different apps more than me.

Good story!

Ha! You killed me with the germ infestation. (But isn’t that the case with young’uns? Goodness.)
      And on the thinking about getting an iPad thing? Get one! Get one now. :-)
      Thanks for your great comment. Happy Holidays to you and those boys.

What a delighful post! My partner wants an ipad for Christmas, but we live in Haiti–alas–or rather, a lack–as in, I doubt I can buy an ipad in Port-au-Prince! Thanks for sharing your son with us. I’m in baby-iPad-heaven! Happy Holidays from Haiti!

enjoibeing says:

great story! my friend has a kid who is 2 and loves the iphone, its very jaw dropping to see a kid use technology at a certain age. i just got an ipad too and i would imagine kids would love playing with it.

I know! (Isn’t the iPad fantastic, though? It really is something. Can’t imagine how the other companies are still scrambling trying to come up with something to at least get near the iPad.) Thanks for the thumbs-up and the comment!

[…] more: Mama. Dada. Dog. Now, Pass Me That iPad Posted on 2010 年 12 月 01 日 by lanshang1460. This entry was posted in 未分类 and tagged […]

Thanks for all of these wonderful comments, folks. This is beyond fun!

kloppenmum says:

I love the idea of letting children get to the ‘bored’ stage – don’t you find that’s when all the creativity emerges?

This blog is great, but I LOVE the pics. Your son is so adorable emulating dad..and with the wool hat on..too much!

Anyhoo…I say if the kid can work it, let him enjoy it. My son was on our desktop computer at 3 years old. Today he is 10 and very bright. He plays on the local baseball team and outside with his friends, as well.

I have no problem with getting our children into technology. Parents can do this and still teach a child that moderation is best. I think it’s a great way to teach them new things. We have to keep moving as the things around us advance, so why not allow them to enjoy it?

Thanks, Christine. Yes, the hat. That’s another fun story.

I agree with you. I think they key is, as you said, making sure that you, the parent, stay involved. Be present. Moderation can definitely be taught and enjoyed.

Great post, I, too am obsessed with Apple products, they’ve gotten a lot of my $$$ and will probably continue to! My kids are the same way, we gave them our PC when we got the Mac decktop and the PC is collecting dust! They refuse to look at the 13″ screen compared to the LCD 20″ LOL! They also can work all around the iphones and ipods, I love watching how smart they are and how quickly they catch on!

reneedavies says:

What a lovely story!

Lakia Gordon says:

1. Cool article 2. The little boy is sooooooooooooo cute :)

Sharoon says:

What a great post. I absolutely loved the hand-in-the-mouth-at-the-same-time photograph. Loved the way you made me smile through the entire read. I have a toddler going after his dada’s blackberry and I can soooo see him do that with an iPad.

Thanks for a great read.

Andrew says:

haha that’s awesome! good story and good writing. WRITE ON!

Mitch Devine says:

Great story and fun photos! I love the way your son’s gestures almost mirror Dad’s.

I remember getting my first iPod (late ’03?), how my then-4-year-old son quickly figured out how to work the thing with no instruction whatsoever. Both my kids are quite comfortable with all manner of gadgets. And I quite agree with your concerns regarding “full immersion”.

They sure grow up fast! Enjoy it while it lasts. Cheers!

Isn’t crazy that your first iPod is not considered a dinosaur? Apple is moving at the speed of light. And we want EVERYTHING that they come up with next, right?
      Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment, Mitch.

Melissa says:

Those pictures are absolutely precious!

congrats on freshly pressed.. love the post. Kids are definitely running circles around us in the tech field. I realize I am getting old when a 3 year old can work my smart phone better then me!

I’m loving this Freshly Pressed deal. Fantastic! And, yes, running circles around us, that’s exactly what these wee ones will/can do.
      Thank you, Melissa. So glad you checked us out.

Evie Garone says:

How cute! Really, I have to ask my sons for help with all my gadgets, it’s a little disturbing how young (2) children are yet know how to use electronic things…
    Congrats on being Freshly Pressed!

evelyngarone.com

I used to think, “Come on, it’s easy. Just click this. Do that. And done,” whenever my folks would ask me about computers. It’s all going to come back to me–double time.

Thanks for the nice words, Evie.

So, I bought three ipod touches for my girls this Christmas (yes, I stayed up all night on Thanksgiving into Black Friday morning to get the good deal). I’ve received a little flack for it. My kids keep stealing my iphone, running down the batteries, calling random people who I don’t want to talk to (who I then have to explain that my kid accidentally called them — why those people are in my contact list, I don’t know), fighting over who has had it longer. Oy! I just want my phone back. And I want my sanity back too. Is it wrong to want that? Is it?

Extravagant, probably. But any more so than the people who get Nintendo DSi’s for their kids? Probably not.

I’m just glad to know I’m not the only one with tech savvy kids who can get around a iphone/ipod/ipad.

Congrats on Freshly Pressed!

First, your name is fun. Mama Bear Ping. Second, hand-clap to you for doing the Black Friday camp-out. You a better than this mama, who doesn’t like being cold. As for wanting your phone and (more important) sanity back? I say your thing, Mama Bear!

And thanks for the comment. I said it a few times… Freshly Pressed is pretty fine. Pretty damn fine. :-)

eva-fate says:

Those photos are just so cute!
    and i know what you mean…
    I’m still very grateful to my uncle, who worked with computers and taught me about them when I was young. I can understand not wanting to plant your kids in front of tvs and computers as a babysitter, but it really does help them in school and life if they’re comfortable learning tech stuff at a young age.

Exactly. Technology is our friend. And it’s a friend that ain’t leaving. (Thank goodness!) I agree with you that learning about all of this at a young age helps in school–and life. Thanks for checking out the blog, eva-fate.

SR says:

Photos says it all!! I have a 2 year old son and he started playing with i-phone when he was 1. He started “Investigating” the gadget and now he knows how to switch it on, go to you tube and play his favorite videos. I downloaded a game recently “Cut the rope” and showed him some tricks. He plays that game now :-)

When I was his age, I was playing with dirt…I jokingly tell my friends, he will probably start writing some app by age 5

Your son pulling up videos on YouTube… hilarious. Guess I should also get familiar with things like Cut the Rope, too, huh? And I’m also waiting for the news story about the 3-year-old in San Diego making apps. We won’t be surprised by that one. Thanks, SR!

auntbethany says:

I loved growing up with technology close at hand. I was the only one in the household who could program the VCR! Years of video games, computer RPGs, and the latest kids gadgets really helped me learn a ton…I know when I have a kid, I will gladly let them poke and prod my cell phones/iPods as much as they can. Kudos on FP! Well deserved…those pics are priceless.

Thanks a plenty! I was also one of the VCR/audio equipment connection kids, but that’s because my father is such an equipment head (in fact, he’ll still tell you how much better Beta was than VHS). We had lots of gadgets around, too. My brother was the computer guy growing up. Still is. Like you, it started with video games and bulletin boards. Poking around is great–that’s how you learn. :-)

gpeace says:

What a cutie! That is worrying though haha. I can’t even work most things and I’m only 17. Behind the times, behind the times.

[…] CBD – unrelated but related – just saying. Oh and also unrelated but related how about this […]

Julia says:

My 2 year old niece sat next to my head when I woke up one morning, had switched on the iphone and played on the mini syth and guitar app. Easily found her way through the menue and even managed to record herself singing.
    Thats what I call intuitive usage! The ipad has proven to be the perfect gate to the internet even for folks 75+. Fantastic!

Your niece is a master! I like that she went as far as to record her own song. Intuitive, indeed. And I agree with you and the iPad. It really is the best way to navigate the web. Safe to say that Apple has even more tucked up its sleeve. Thanks for sharing your niece’s story, and for checking out MMM.

leonabriggs says:

What a great mom you obviously are and what cute pics! Thanks for sharing!

Aww, thanks. The photos were definitely fun, but that little boy is that and so much more. Love him with all that I’ve got.

ryoko861 says:

Ok, props to you my friend! It’s not a sin to put something like this in a child’s hands. The key word here is “moderation”. We moms sometimes need a break or a moment to do something without the velcro child. And whining can become suicidal!
    And your child has a knack for the electronics! Believe me, it’s a god send having a computer geek in the house. Do you know how many times my son has been able to get a virus off our computer? Or fix something my husband or I screwed up (thank goodness for “system restore”!) Of course, the younger generation has always grasped things like this much quicker than us parents.
    Love the pictures! Thanks for sharing! And congrats on being “Freshly Pressed”!

inidna says:

Tech gadgets are truly everywhere these days! I didn’t have my first laptop or phone till I was a teen but now I have nieces and nephews that get their own when they’re 3! It actually makes me cringe to see how much their parents have spoiled them so they won’t have to deal with their saying ‘I’m bored’. But they’re already running circles around me and I’m…pretty much still a ‘kid’ as well (22)! I should know these things too! Haha I do agree with you though. It’s good to be flexible and it’s nice that kids can occupy themselves with these gadgets but it’s just as important for some old school down time. Reading and actually stepping out of the house to play! Good times :)
    This is a great post and congrats on being Freshly Pressed!

Hi, inidna. I know, kids are getting up on technology earlier. Said it before, soon it’ll be in the womb with them. Thanks for this comment!

Lulu says:

Reading this makes me smile!
    I remember my 10 months old nephew! he likes to call me randomly. When it’s only a short call, I know it is my nephew does that!
    you have a very cute son!

Ah, the early morning random call from the wee ones. Precious. Folks can’t get mad about the wake-up calls either. Cute saves them each and every time, these babies. :-) Thanks for reading, Lulu!

mkeeffer says:

This is inspiring – I love that the tiny people can use devices. Bet this will give him a kick-start in school. Thanks MM!

tanner24 says:

There is definitely a happy medium between the wonders of technology and good old fashioned fun with little ones. Both should be embraced. I agree that letting kids be ‘bored’ can be a good thing. They need to know how to entertain themselves when the batteries run low. Thanks for the post!

Dapizz says:

This is such a good post. Love it! I had a quick go on an iPad when I was waiting for a flight in the departure lounge and I agree; they’re totally magical things, especially TouchGrind!

Summer says:

apple products are the best!! but be careful with them with your son!! he’s going to get addicted!

malpaxq says:

http://infobot.pl/r/1SDc – Click here. thers so many photos of stars, like Lady Gaga, Justin Bieber, and lots more.

bookjunkie says:

he’s the cutest lil muchkin ever!!!! :) Loved your post

Sheri says:

Haha, I totally understand! My daughter is 17 months old (today actually) and she LOVES phones, ipods, computers, anything electronic. Once she changed my desktop photo. I don’t even know how to do that! She rearranged the order of stuff icons (don’t know what to call them, you know, like messages, calls, etc.) on my phone. I have no idea how to do that either! I totally agree with you, it’s not a babysitter, and old fashioned play is needed too. Oh, and we don’t let her watch tv either. Nice to find someone else who feels the same way :)

jimhoefflin says:

Those days seem so long ago for our family. Our son just turned 17, and we had to recently institute a bit of ‘marshall law’ on him as I joke. You are welcome to a read at http://jimhoefflin.wordpress.com/2010/11/21/no-tea-party-please/ if you’d like. In the end, he has responded very well, seems much happier, and when I gave him a free pass the other night, he joked … “Wow, guess you are a benevolent dictator!” The only appropriate reply was, ‘Yes, you know you have to throw a turkey leg to the peasants once in a while.” We both had a good laugh. Thanks for the memories.

This post was great! My little cousin who is just one figured her way around my iPod in 15 minutes!

reflectionsinrhythm says:

Nice story. Good to see parents use technology to engage with their young ones instead of using technology as a diversion for or from the young ones.
    It’s funny though how children find the short cuts without having to deal with the instruction manuals. Best wishes to you and family.

Heather says:

My Gram has an iPad and she loves it… When she can figure out how to work it. ;) I just have my iPhone and can’t seem to justify spending any more of my hard-earned, barely-there, almost-completely-going-to-college-and-savings money on a giant one without phone qualities. But I do like them. A lot. If I ever have to go back to a normal phone I am getting one.

My first grade teacher was named Mary Mack. I know you’re probably not her as she would probably be in her 80’s if she still living or am I thinking of the children’s rhyme ~ Mary Mack Mack Mack…. btw I just adore the way your husband and son have the same expressions as they work on their gadgets. Great post! Congrats on being pressed.

Times have changed.I wonder.We in India still write because i-pads are for the economically privileged.But i think making young children susceptible to such gadgets can make them zombies,wonder why they haven’t turned one yet.They need to learn to write and play on the beach with the mud or play with dogs.But the technology aspect must not be ignored for they must learn to keep up with the changing times.I am speaking with reference with the Indian scenario.

Sarah Denton says:

Twenty five years ago I taught my 18 month old how to operate the TV,stereo and other components. friends and family were aghast that he was allowed to touch them! It took about 5 minutes to teach him most of the controls, the rest he figured out on his own. In this way,instead of breaking something,he learned to manipulate and work it.

S.

Correctamundo, Sarah. Growing up, there was no “do not touch” rule on things like stereos and TVs in our house. My folks believed what you do: teach the children well. They will learn how to respect things and take care of them. Thanks for the comment!

Matt says:

Great post! Congrats on passing the ‘100’ mark. A lot of people don’t realize how hard it is to stay original and creative in this format. I wish you luck for the future.

Matt, your Gravatar… a little hilarious, a little scary. :-)
      Thanks for the comment, especially for the props on reaching 100 posts. It really is hard work, as you said, staying original and creative in this space. Appreciate you taking the time to pat me on the back.

Those pictures are so cute! Lol :-) I’m on an ipad right now.

Amanda Cadle says:

I loved reading this post! Even though I’m not anywhere near being a parent (I’m still in college), I love kids and I’m already thinking how I’m going to raise mine when I have them. I can already observe how technologically inclined the latest generation is, but I agree that legos and wooden trains are important as well. Your son is so cute, copying his dad, lol!

And I love that you’re thinking ahead about the kind of parent you want to be well before you have kids. Smart! Thanks for the comment and compliments, Amanda.

whenquiet says:

Ms Mary Mack Mack Mack all dressed in black black black……down South in the 60’s, we used to chant that rhyme with patty cake hand maneuvers……..the memories!!!!So cool! I adore your FP picks but your featured display pic is TOPS! Congrats on FB…

Saif Aslam says:

The pictures are great both father and son doing the same gestures with their iPads. Brilliant.

reflectionsinrhythm says:

nice

Parul says:

Great post, my 18 month old daughter loves looking at family photos and listening to music on my iphone and associates the laptop with her grandmother (she talks to her on skype every 2-3 days), if one day we get an ipad I know she would think it was hers!

Kids are super techno savy these day. The pic with your son mirroring his dad so deep in thought and into the I-Pad is awesome, nice post!

Like when Passion comes from pain, and Creativity from boredom, Thecknollogy must come to challenge whatever is out there already. I wonder if your little one can handle an iPad so well, what would be the new toy for the coming generation. Geniouses would have more time for family and rest?…I wonder.
    ~Great story of Yours!!!!
    ~Great love to you,
    Mirian from peelingtheorange. “)

shara4you says:

ipad is really a cool staff

tyka says:

my husband is dying to have an iPad. he would be jealous when he see this lil boy has already play with one :D

adminsmit says:

On our christmas wish list – my ten year old has proved a most enthusiastic saver of pocket money – motivation, the iPad! So cash from all relatives please!!!

My kids are older and I still don’t let them touch my gadgets. They have their own technology, and they are stuff-breakers, so my stuff is off limits!
    Great post.

dhila13 says:

wow.. i love those pics. *i love that baby* give my kiss to him. :mrgreen:

dhila13
    jakarta, indonesia

Nishita says:

What a great post! The same situation is going on in my house. My 4-year old daughter knows how to handle our phones and our i-pad. I love some of the educational stuff they have on there, as well as the stories we have downloaded for her.

Although we bought the i-pad primarily as a replacement for our defunct laptop, it has turned out to be much more :)

[…] a post on kids and technology that I found interesting. I frequently wonder if my generation will have early onset of carpal […]

Matt says:

Haha, it is quite amazing to see how quickly children pick things up! My partners 5-year-old took a month to master an iPhone. Though she sometimes ‘forgets’, usually resulting in her playing her favourite videos at top volume on the bus!
    Though, something more amazing I saw was my technophobe mum just swiping her away and around google maps – without any prompting or prior knowledge!!

Congrats on being freshly pressed!

innocenz says:

Kids are amazing these days, they pick up how to use such gadgets so quickly. My 3 year old has been using the iPod touch for a year now and even teaches her granny how to play certain games!

More recently, she went up to daddy saying “Daddy, I want a big ‘stow’.”

Stow’s what she calls the iPods/iPhones etc. and now the iPad’s a BIG stow to her.

We haven’t decided whether she deserves one for Christmas yet.

Congrats on post 101 and being freshly pressed :)

Big Stow. Hilarious! I tell you, I laugh every single day behind something this little guy says or does. Just a joy.

Thanks for the comment. Yes, getting to 101 took hard work, but all of this wonderful feedback is the best kind of pay-back.

logmeoutblog says:

Yeah, I guess it is obvious why they love it all — all shiny and showing all kinds of cool stuff. But I do really wonder about brain development in early childhood. They say not to put them in front of tv’s before 2 years old, no? So why is all this stuff any better? I know there are benefits, but seriously? A two-year old with an iPod? What happened to building with blocks? Regardless of how amazing they are at picking up on this stuff… what are they not learning and not doing by getting good with gadgets. Don’t know. Too early to know I guess how this might be affecting them…

So, little ones can also handle ipad now. So, what next…?

Amy P says:

Thank you for being logical about our kids and screen time! Balance is the key – don’t get too uptight, don’t let them live on it. It’s part of our lives, and the more comfortable with tech they are, the better off they’ll be. There’s so much to learn out there (including a lot of nasty words on YouTube). We have to guide them through it. We’re hypocrites if we spend all day with our gadgets but ban them from our kids. Excellent work mama!!

Wat a story dude,

u made the day!

Its amazing how technology is changing our lives. Ours as well as of our children. Gone are the days when kids would drag an adults arm to take them to the park, zoo or any other outdoors. Now they have their ipods, their gaming consoles and God knows what else. While technology is making life easier and more convenient, I think kids still need to be encouraged to go out and about and get some physical labour, as the new gadgets can be quite addictive at times.

Best Wishes

Haha, this is so cute! I just LOVE the pictures!!!

Baldwin Ng says:

The pics are great! It’s true, technology can’t be a bad thing. App stores nowadays have great fairy tale books and other kids stuff. I am sure your son will have no problems reading them.

I recently wrote a post about kids nowadays http://bit.ly/fYuktc. Hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed yours.

That second pic is absolutely priceless! Good catch.